Difficult Conversations – you’ve made it through a tough conversation, perhaps you asked your boss for a raise or gave tough feedback to a team member.
You may be happy to have the conversation just over and done with. Before you move on, take time to think through how it went. Ask yourself:
• Do you feel proud of how you managed the conversation?
• Or do you feel embarrassed or let down?
• Did you meet the goals you set out for the discussion?
• Do you feel differently now about the person or the problem?
• What do you wish you had done differently?
This reflection will give you a sense of what you should do next (perhaps you need to go back to the person for a follow-up conversation) and will help you better prepare for future discussions.
Along with many others, this is one of the practical topics covered in our two-day management course, which is held Australia wide. To see what this course can offer you and your organisation, you can click here.